Online placement exams for spring 2020
Online placement exams for spring term 2020 are now open. These exams are intended for students who were unable to take a placement exam in mathematics or the foreign languages listed below at the beginning of the fall 2019 term.
Two placement exam periods offered
- Dec. 9, 2019 at 9 a.m. - Dec. 13, 2018 at 5 p.m.
- Jan. 2, 2020 at 9 a.m. - Jan. 3, 2020 at 5 p.m., and Jan. 6, 2020 at 9 a.m. - Jan. 7 at 12:00 p.m.
All times are in EST.
Most placement exams will not be available between Dec. 14, 2019 - Jan. 1, 2020, or after Jan. 7, 2020, at noon.
Placement exam subjects
Please click on the appropriate subject, below, for information about the placement exams, exam procedures, and how results will be disseminated. A contact person is also listed for each placement exam.
- Chinese (Prof. Ninghui Liang)
- French (Prof. Ruth Koizim)
- German (Prof. Theresa Schenker)
- Italian (Prof. Anna Iacovella)
- Korean (Prof. Angela Lee-Smith)
- Mathematics (Prof. Miki Havlickova)
- Spanish (Prof. Ame Cividanes)
Subjects not listed
Students who did not take a placement exam in fall 2019 and seek to inquire about a placement exam in a subject or department not listed above should contact the director of undergraduate studies in that department.
Students with documented disabilities may request accommodations for placement testing through the Student Accessibility Services office. Please contact the SAS office through the online registration form to submit your request at least one week before your placement test.
Over the summer
Some programs have special application procedures with deadlines during the summer or in the fall before classes start. Others have placement examinations or a preregistration process that take place during First-year Orientation.
Once on Campus (fall and Spring)
Placement Exams during First-year Orientation (also contains information on academic events and info sessions during First-year Orientation, plus some information on preregistration in specific departments)
Preregistration Applications and Preference Selection (complete list of courses in Yale College that require applications and/or have enrollment procedures which open prior to the start of term, plus links to course discussion sections or laboratory sections that use the Preference Selection tool for ranking preferred days and times)
Do I need to take a placement exam: Rules of Thumb for First-year students
- Take the placement exam in any field in which your plan to take a course during your first year at Yale
- Take a placement exam, if offered, in any foreign language you’ve already studied in college or in which you have some proficiency
- Skip the placement exams for fields in which you won’t take a course during your first year at Yale
- If you decide to study in those fields during your second year here, you can take a placement test next summer. Are you afraid you’ll be rusty? Even so, that will be a more accurate placement than one provided by a year-old placement test
- What if you change your mind and wish to take a course during spring term? Most departments will offer a formal or ad hoc placement exam in January
Please also keep in mind the Academic Fair, held each year between 1:00-2:30 on the Tuesday prior to the first day of classes. At the Academic Fair, you will have a chance to discuss placement or other issues with the directors of undergraduate studies in all majors and programs.